Length of Course: 4 hours
# of Participants: max. 20
Recommended for: Commercial Vehicle Drivers
The CVSA course concentrates on providing participants with the necessary skills to inspect their vehicles according to the CVSA Level 1 criteria used by licensed commercial vehicle inspectors and law enforcement.
Drivers or vehicles not meeting the criteria can be taken “out of service” and prevented from operating until the out of service condition is corrected. Participants will learn how to avoid violations and prevent their vehicle from being taken off the road. They will also have the knowledge to reduce crashes due to equipment failure and detect vehicle issues before they go out on the road. This session is delivered in connection with pre/post trip inspections and compliance issues surrounding the National Safety Code (NSC).
- Objectives – Why to teach to industry
- The three levels of CVSA Inspections
- North American Inspection Schematic
- Pre/post trip inspection of units, including documentation
- Air brake refresher
- Check lists of items looked at
- The Out of Service (OOS) Criteria
- Major mechanical components and Common failure items
- Brake Adjustment, understanding the 20% OOS Rule
- How to adjust Automatic Slack Adjusters (ASL’s)
- Decals, rules of the road
The CVSA Level 1 – half day training will consist of a 2 hr. classroom session for all participants and then participants will be broken into groups for the 2 hr. practical training.